Monday, February 12, 2007

...and this right here is why!

Me and Mary go back to like '89, '90 when she was singing hooks for Father MC and Supercat so it's not surprising that I have a special place in my heart for her. LOL.

Now I know some of you might bemoan her occasional pitch issues and frequent wails and catterwalling BUT she always delivers. Last night at the Grammys was no different. However, last night she did something that I have not witnessed in a long, long, long time...

Mary broke thru to that elite handful of performers to cement their place in American Music's time capsule. These performers' music and artistry are vital to the story of America. These are the performers whose work will encapsulate the struggles, triumphs, lives and loves of the past 100 or so years. If all the music in the U.S. were to be destroyed and we were only able to retain certain works, these are the artists whose works would be spared to carry on the legacy.

Mary catapulted herself into that category last night.

...and this right here is why!

2 comments:

Clay said...

I love Mary but she was just too off-key for me. When she tries to do her janis joplin-ish hollers she loses all control of her voice.

BTW-- you said in my Vogue post, "This is just wrong so many levels but I'm just going to keep my mouth shut before people start calling me a hater" ... say it! SAY IT! I wanna know!!! lol

Rocky Earl said...

I agree with the Clay-guy as far as the control. Honestly, if I weren't so damn loyal, I would be crazy about Mary, too, but I ride for Janet. That said, I think that for Mary to give a truly "transcendental" performance, she would need to stand her ass still and focus on the notes. I've heard her do it before (my favorite live performance from her was when she did "Daydreaming" on Divas Live back in 2001. Flawless) and I have faith that she can do it again. It was a classic performance and the best of the night. However, it was also the same shit she always do.